Red White and Blue July Pie
How we did it:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Make a pie crust and cut into squares
- Place squares into lightly oiled muffin tins
- Scoop red and blue fruits (we used defrosted bags of frozen strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) into muffin tins, but don't over fill
- Top with some powdered sugar
- Bake for 30ish minutes, checking ever five minutes after 25 minutes.
- When fruit turns dark and pie crust is golden-ish, take them out
- You can eat immediately if you top with ice cream (I pushed the ice cream scoops right into the fruit and suggested the kids to "eat the ice cream first so the fruit can cool down"). Needless to say, this was not a problem.
We started this activity as the children awoke from their naps, and the snack was ready by afternoon snack. Total elapsed time, roughly 1:15. I did the pie crust while they were napping so it could take a little longer if you do that part with the children.