Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ocean Playdough Recipe and Dollar Store Accessories

The standard recipe for playdough is a pretty foolproof way to get a dough that is not too sticky and not too crumbly.  However, to make enough for a class of 12, I have to double the recipe, using 4 Tbsp of cream of tartar instead of 2.  So naturally I was disappointed to find just two tablespoons of cream of tartar left in the container the other day....

I guess I was feeling crazy that morning because I decided to wing it--- I really wanted more than one batch of playdough!

I threw a few things together to double my batch of playdough and it turned out so good, soft, silk, and bright, that I had to share the recipe.


Silky bright playdough

Sift with a whisk:
1 1/2 cups of flour
3/4 cups salt (I used kosher sea salt)
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon alum

Add:
2 cups of water
plus
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of icing coloring
plus
3 tablespoons of oil

Continue stirring with a whisk, adding water (and coloring if brighter color is needed) until you get the consistency of a thick pancake batter.  Heat a skillet on medium and pour batter into the skillet.  Leave it sit until it cooks through part way and when the sides start peeling up, knead it with a wooden spoon in the skillet, stirring and smashing (like you would in a standard playdough recipe) until an even color is established and the dough seems to be cooked through.

You can test it by pinching off a little and kneading it on the counter.  If it just sticks a tiny bit, it will probably be fine once the dough cools. If it sticks a lot, just cook a few minutes longer, smashing and flipping for even cooking.

After you are done cooking, put a tablespoon or so of oil in your hands and begin to knead it into the dough for a minute or two until it's completely absorbed.

Voilà!


Dollar Store Accessories from Daiso:
cocktail umbrellas, $1.50
snack picks, $1.50
hours of fun: priceless!





2 comments:

  1. what great creations! I have yet to make play dough - GASP! I need to asap!

    Come share on the Sunday Showcase - a child centered linky party I host on my blog. Its open thru Thurs. http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  2. That blue is so vibrant! I love the color. Creating an ocean to play with is awesome. Never thought of it! I included this in a roundup of ideas to do with play dough today!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! Always appreciated : )

Wrestling is good for children.

Originally published Sept 2010 Many of our parents seemed shocked when they came to pick up their children from Beansprouts and found the...